Saturday, March 14, 2015

Skillet Focaccia

 This wonderful bread is for anyone who loves a chewy dipping bread.
It's perfect to make in a pinch-simply 60 minutes of your time. 
 Just look at the bread in ita natural habitat...waiting to be consumed!
 The saltiness of the this bread beats potato chips any day of the week. 
 It's important to recognize that after using lots of olive oil to make the bread, the next step is to dip the bread into more olive oil.
 Such an easy appetizer to do at a party. 
 Such simple ingredients can make such hearty foods. 
 Rip & Dip! 
 I amaze myself sometimes with the yummy things that my two hands can make. 
Stack em' high; it won't last for long!

Skillet Focaccia: Makes 1 12'' focaccia

Ingredients

1.     3/4 cup warm water
2.    1/2 tsp sugar
3.    1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast 
4.    2 tbsp olive oil
5.    1 1/2-2 cups all-purpose flour 

Seasoning

1. kosher salt 
2. 2-3 large cloves of minced garlic
3. 3 tbsp olive oil

Instructions
1.     Stir warm water and sugar together in a medium size bowl until most or all of the sugar dissolves. Sprinkle yeast on top and let sit until the yeast starts to activate. It will smell lovely and start foaming. 
2.    Add in 1 1/2 cup of the flour to start with the salt and olive oil.
3.    Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. When it's ready, turn it off. 
4.    Knead the dough until it's still pliable but no longer super sticky. 
5.    Grease your skillet well with olive oil. I would say enough oil to coat the pan and the dough on both sides. I used my 12" Lodge baby. it truly is one of my favorite kitchen tools. I hope I have it when I turn 100. 
6.    Roll out your dough on the counter in as much or a circle as you can manage. Once you have a "rough circle" (mine was definitely not picture worthy), place it in the pan and stretch with your fingers until the dough reaches the sides. I used a small drinking glass to help roll it out in the pan. 
7.    Flip the dough over so both sides are adequately oiled. Do not skimp on your olive oil! (My father would be proud of me for saying that).
8.    Cover with a dish towel and place the skillet in the oven for 20 minutes to rise.
9.    While the dough is rising, sauté the 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the fresh garlic. (I didn't do this, but if your feeling adventurous, why not throw in a sweet onion too? Delicious!!)
10. Take the skillet out and raise the heat to 400 degrees.
11.  Brush the dough with the oil/garlic sauce. Use it all. 
12. Using your fingers make indentations in the dough-- as if you're Beethoven slamming on those ivories in his 5th symphony.
13. Sprinkle kosher salt generously over the dough. It should be salty. 
14. Bake for 20 minutes. I ended up having to bake it another 3 but every oven is different. 
15. The bread when done should slide ride out of the pan easily. Cut and serve. 

Recipe modified from Crunchycreamysweet

No comments:

Post a Comment